Thursday 27 December 2018

Toddler's dressing area Montessori style

Ever since I had a look at Montessori, I have tried to set up spaces at home according to its principles. I find it compatible with my little family. This time around, its Kawthar's dressing area! At the age of 18 months old, she enjoys having her ways of doing things. 

"Let me do it myself!"

Dressing corner
I arranged it in the way that can help Kawthar dress herself up. That means the wardrobe is open, low and has easily pulled drawers. Small laundry basket that suits her height, changing mat on the floor that she can easily sit on are the arrangements I chose. 

First wardrobe, Second wardrobe, Diapers shelf
The first wardrobe is where I put all her clothes, bed sheets, towels and accessories. Its closed and for me to use. The second wardrobe is the one that Kawthar uses everyday. I would hang around 4 dresses (baju jalan) and put 2 daily clothes (baju rumah) and 2 pyjamas (baju tidur) in the drawers. Limited number of clothes allows her to choose easily. I don't think she understands now that she is making a choice but she'll get there. Maybe when she gets older, I'll put more choices. 


Easily opened lid for the first drawer

2 sets of clothing for each drawer
I reorganized this area for 2 months+ and I noticed that this arrangement allowed her to do things more independently. For example, putting dirty clothes into the laundry basket, picking her diaper, choosing her clothes of the day. She does this most of the times except when she's not in the mood. But that's totally fine. She does make a mess like taking out clothes from the laundry basket and drawers but not too often. Once a week is manageable on my part. 


Small basket for her. Big basket for extra dirty clothes.
Although there are two baskets, she only put her dirty clothes in the small one as I first showed her. She always ensures the clothes are properly put (no dangling on the edge). Guys, kids mimic! 😅

Here where I got all the items from: 
  • Wardrobe 1: I actually found it on an online shop but I forgot the name. Its a shop based in Ipoh, Perak. I still have the number because I once contacted him through Whatsapp 012-5814580
  • Wardrobe 2: IKEA Trofast series (including drawers, lid) - I hacked it
  • Adjustable tension rod: SHOPEE
  • Diaper shelf: MOTHERCARE
  • Big and small laundry basket: KAISON
  • Hanging storage: IKEA Fabler Anka
Sometimes you can just use what's available in the house to set up the space. As for me, I just added the second wardrobe. The rest is already in the house (some are gifts). See what works for you! Hope this helps.

xxx
MommyBel 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Toilet learning 20 months old

Potty trained at 20 months old?? One of the first reactions I received was:  "Pity her!" I do not blame anyone who thought...